Pattern Review: the Bombazine Shirt (x 3!)
Unless you've been hiding under a pressing ham in the sew-iverse recently, you will have seen the Bombazine Shirt pattern burst onto the scene.
Bombazine is Melbourne duo Kate and Klarissa. They're previously best known for their free Oven Mitt pattern, the project that launched probably thousands of Christmas gifts and teacher gifts.
Well, they've certainly taken things up a notch with their second sewing pattern, the Bombazine Shirt. It's available as PDF only, direct from their website. Here's their description:
"A loose, slightly cropped shirt inspired by traditional men’s workwear. This short-sleeved shirt has a one-piece camp collar and a straight hem with side splits. Optional patch pocket and button loop for a closed collar. Shirt can be lengthened or shortened to suit."
It's also well worth noting the excellent size range: from chest 84 - 152.5cm, or Australian sizes 6 - 32.
The shirt is a lovely blank canvas; a simple shape finished with a few key details. It's just the sort of dress-it-up, dress-it-down garment that we love and we couldn't wait to try it!
Full disclosure: Bombazine sent us a free, no obligation copy of the pattern to try out. We're grateful, and we genuinely love it.
This is Jane writing, and here are a few notes on my two Bombazine Shirts:
Despite the shirt's lack of darts, my measurements seem to fit nicely into size E (a round of applause for neutral size names), and the finished garment measurements indicate a comfortable amount of wearing ease.
The instructions are excellent and include plenty of clear diagrams. My only deviation was to use two rows of gathering stitches to ease in the sleeves. My fabric was fairly inflexible and the easing-by-hand as instructed just wasn't working for me.
I took a punt and dove straight in with my 'good' snail-print fabric (gasp!). I'm thrilled with the result, which doesn't look oversized, but accommodates my DD bust with no pulling or gaping.
For my second version, I made a narrow shoulder adjustment of about 1" (a common adjustment for me). If you compare the photos you'll see this has taken care of the diagonal fold of fabric that runs from shoulder to sleeve in the snail shirt. I also shortened the sleeves and shifted the pocket just slightly further to the side. (And I put the pocket on the correct side this time!) I could still shorten the sleeve further, or roll up again.
|Not mushrooms - it's alien abductions.|
I love it in these fun prints, and I think I could also use a plain linen version (probably Geraldton Wax) down the track. The fabric allowance seems spot on. I got a bit fussy pattern matching with my snails version and almost ran out, so if you have a pattern to match, allow an extra 20cm or so.
And here's Fiona in her Bombazine Shirt made up in a Japanese cotton from last summer that's sold out. Another very pleasing result!
PATTERN: The Bombazine Shirt
FABRICS: Snails On The Lawn by Hokkoh (sold out), Alien Abduction by Sevenberry (small amount left at time of writing), Japanese cotton (sold out). Would work well in any light fabric, from crisp shirtings to fluid linen, Tencel and similar.
I particularly like that it's a comfortably loose fit but has a set-in sleeve, which means it will fit well under things like overalls and pinafores. This is actually exactly what I was looking for in a shirt pattern a few months ago. It's the zeitgeist! I'd like to also adapt it to a long, cuffed sleeve.
Jane & Fiona xx